US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Three Dog Night

"Number one is the loneliest number you will ever do"

More about that later. ME had another marvelous day today with fantastic people sharing it. As usual, she greeted me in the morning with a smile, a squeeze and a kiss. The kiss was different today. I asked her to "pucker up" and by golly she did! What a great way to start the day. The same way we have started every day, going back forever. You have to understand that I have been in love with ME since the day I was born and she with me.

Enough drippy stuff. ME's knee is still a bit swollen but it is being treated. All of the tests that ME ordered on herself yesterday came back negative so there is no damage, just a bit of fluid which ice packs will help reduce. Her tongue was still a bit swollen, as yesterday, so we did not want to stress her by fitting the Passy Muir valve on her trach. (I continue to amaze myself with this new language I am learning)

When I came back this afternoon, I worked with Dave (nurse) on a couple of different positions for ME. Sitting up stresses her knee, verified by asking ME if her knee hurts and she nodded her head. We put her back in a more neutral position and she promptly decided to take a power nap. About a half hour later I noticed her eye opening so Laurie Oswalt and I continued our conversation a bit closer. I then began to explain to ME my plan for Saturday, driving to Bham to get Paul moved into his apartment. ME's left eye also opened about half way, she was really awake.

I told her she could not speak because we had the valve off her trach but she could "mouth" words. I asked her to use her face muscles and tongue to mouth the word "one". She did and I have witnesses! Now you are all doing it and ME is laughing! Another cool milestone in ME's recovery. For those of you born in my generation, this song has been going through my head all afternoon.

MaryEleanor continues to do what she does best, beat the odds!

2 comments:

M.E. said...

By the way, Melissa called me this afternoon. She not only wants to get "on the list" but also do ME's hair in the hospital as soon as they will allow it!

Wow, this is amazing!

hglad said...

Dave and ME what a wonderful Pair! You are both continulally in our thoughts reminding us what Love is.
When I return from Mexico in November we are planning on visiting in your home.

Howard and Vicky