US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Monday, September 15, 2008

Rules, Rules Rules

Just when you think you understand the "rules of the road", I'm going to modify them.

I had a meeting today with Dr Marj Henderson, director of Rehab, long time family friend. She is stepping in and taking a more active role in ME's plan of care. We have anticipated this and welcome it. This in no way is any reflection on any of her other awesome caregivers. For starters, Marj is an excellent communicator and obviously loves ME. However, we need to be finite about what is happening and what will be happening.

Therapy, therapy, therapy. Did I mention therapy? This activity, which happens three times a day, is more critical now. Occupational Therapy works with ME twice a day, 8:30AM and 2:30PM. Physical Therapy works with her at 10:30AM. Therapy sessions are paramount to ME's recovery. She needs to awake and alert during these times. In between sessions, she needs to rest.

What does this mean to all of us. Two things. If you want to be there during one of her sessions and feel comfortable helping the therapist, please let Judi know quickly. Please keep in mind that the therapist cannot spend their time retraining someone each time ME needs therapy. If you are up to this challenge, let Judi know. I always do the 8:30 session but that does not mean someone else can be there and help. If we can establish a core group of people that can assist the therapists, this would be very cool.

Second thing and more important. During the day, if you want to visit ME in between therapy sessions, be prepared to just sit and read a book to yourself, not ME. You are there because you want to just keep her company. Even if she is awake, we need her to rest. No stimulation! This rule is huge. If you can't stand not being able to walk up and talk and touch her, then visit with her when you can do these things. I hope you all understand how important this is.

The good news? After 4:30PM weekdays and on weekends, ME is all ours! I go a chuckle out of the nurse today when I mentioned hosting happy hour in ME's room every afternoon.

Enough about rules. ME had another great day today. A bit tired from yesterday's sprint but she was fighting all day long to demonstrate her recovery. Late this afternoon she raised her left arm quite a bit, not stressed. She waved goodbye to Rhonda Taylor this evening.

I keep coming back to word "amazing" when describing my wife, because she is.

No comments: