Thanks for allowing me a "day off". MaryEleanor's Mom, brother and sister-in-law rolled into to Yakivegas Friday evening. They stopped to visit with ME for a bit before heading out to the W4ranch. We all enjoyed great stories, a little wine, discussing MaryEleanor's progress, a little more wine and then a fun simple dinner, and then yet a bit more wine.
ME had a another vigorous workout yesterday, spending a lot of time up in her chair and working with all of the therapists. ME's "big Sis" Diane was here from Everett for the whole day. ME holds her comb on her own while we assist her combing her hair. Friday ME was able to pass the comb from one hand to the other, highlight of the day from therapists point of view. MaryEleanor's stamina continues to grow, which means more to me. The longer she can stay up, comfortably, in her chair, and work hard to do tasks that the rest of us do instinctively, the better!
Mom, great job today! The four of us bombarded ME's room around 8:30. She was playing possum on us but giving all of the normal squeezes so I knew she was enjoying their company. I gave them some tips I had learned in my many therapy sessions. The reality was I put them to work and then left them alone to enjoy MaryEleanor. When I returned around 12:30, ME was sitting in her chair, looking relaxed and quiet. ME's family was getting ready to leave, saying their goodbyes, and bam!, both eyes popped open. I asked ME to wave goodbye and she gave them a big, Princess Di wave. What a picture to leave with!
ME got settled back into her bed, fluffed with many pillows and crashed. I sat and read my book while she snoozed. I can remember days spent together like this many moons ago. The first, cloudy, rainy day when we would light the first fire in the fireplace, ME would settle in on the couch for a nap and I would either read a book or watch the Rider Cup. "Afternoon Delight". A one hit wonder from a band called Starland Vocal Band. I betcha a bunch of you have this going through your head right now.
When I got home from the hospital today, I had a card in the mail from my Aunt Pat, my Mom's sister, who lives in Sun Valley. In the card was a really cool saying that will find a place on the wall of MaryEleanor's room tomorrow morning. "When God closes one door........He always open another, but it's hell in the hallway." Enjoy each other!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment