This was M.E.'s first spoken word. When I arrived this morning OT was working with her. She had the trach valve in (as she has on other occasions), which allows air to move past her vocal cords. As the therapist was flexing her right leg at the knee, M.E. clearly said "Ouch". I asked her to tell us where it hurt and she said "leg". I asked her to tell me where on her leg and she said "the knee". Well, sports fans, as you can imagine, this was a phenomenal response.
A good workout of her extremities followed and I know it must have been tiring. She gripped a couple of times with her left hand, and smiled when asked. It was especially nice that M.E.'s nurse Dave Trevino was there when it happened. He was so excited and giving everyone hugs.
The knee is somewhat swollen, which is why she complained. They will be doing some testing to see what is going on with that. She tolerated everything else quite well.
We can all be encouraged and I know that you will keep the positive thoughts and prayers headed her way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OK everyone, today was a HUGE day! Not just cool, but awesome! I missed the event but also experience a whispered "ow" this afternoon while repositioning ME.
You are all charged with sharing your feelings and thoughts. ME will be reading this blog herself soon enough and would want to know what people were feeling when she reached each new milestone.
Don't be shy! If you feel like shouting from the rooftop or putting up a billboard, you can certainly pop a comment on the blog.
I want ME to hear the champagne corks popping from coast to coast!
This is so cool!
Dave
Yeah! So many people are praying for ME and this is the answer we have been asking for. I can hardly wait to spend some time with ME on Friday so that we can have a proper chat!
FANTASTIC!!! I'm sure this will be the first of many, many words we all have been waiting to hear. Keep the faith, we are all pulling for our friend. I'm off to shout this to all at LD!
I hope to get to come by the hospital next week when I return from being out of town. My thoughts have been with you all even from far away.
Hugs to you all, our God is so good!
Post a Comment