MaryEleanor was hoisted twice today, out of her bed and into her wheelchair. I was on the sidelines for first lift, unbelievable system. The person who invented this apparatus no longer has to work. ME was in her chair for about 20 minutes this morning and then again for a little over an hour midday. She tolerated it well so we will be increasing the time spent sitting regular like. If I could only find the right outfit for her to wear, I'd whisk her downstairs and outside so she could feel the warm sun on her face. We'll keep that idea floating around.
Now I am going to bore you all with some little details that MaryEleanor always attended to but, since I am a slacker, they have been overlooked. Since we began this process of ME's recovery, celebrations have been happening. In lieu of cards, birthday greetings go out to Charlie, Ann Marie, Jack P., Judi, Linda, Cindy, Skip and Jennifer. ME also has written down that we were engaged 31 years ago. She also marked her parents anniversary and the passing of her brother Lee. I really need to pay closer attention to ME's calendar.
Today when I arrived for my morning ritual with my bride, I was amazed to see the "bouquet" from the Yakima Tennis Club. I don't know if you can really call it a vase, more like a glass barrel, filled with tennis balls and the "flowers" are tennis racquets. Tied to the strings of the racquets are at least 100 notes from all of ME's tennis buds. Wow! You guys rock! MaryEleanor stared at that arrangement for a long time today.
Tomorrow, ME has family coming to visit. She is looking forward to seeing them all. To the rest of you who have spent time with ME, thank you. She really enjoys it. What we are all doing for ME continues to blow away the staff at Yakima Regional. I know she gathers strength and energy from not only those who visit her, but also those who continue to do what they do from further away. I have a feeling though that those who visit ME, walk out of the hospital feeling a bit stronger also. MaryEleanor gives back too!
Time to fire up the Whelan kitchen tomorrow night. A little party at the W4Ranch. There may not be a post tomorrow but I will catch up to everyone on Saturday. Carpe Diem!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Dave and family- we are just back from France (after 4 months) and catching up- we are very sorry to hear of ME's medical crisis but very glad to know that she has started on the road to recovery and that she is receiving such wonderful and loving care. What can I do to help? I am an unemployed Occupational Therapsit, back from my travels for a while, and available to help as needed. I would love to go visit ME but will wait to hear from you as to the best day/time. It sounds like you are getting to know and love the Hoyer Lift...Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Andrea Altmayer 965-3702 home, 945-5499 cell, andalt@aol.com
Post a Comment