US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Monday, September 29, 2008

The Best $3.50 I Ever Paid

I warned MaryEleanor to be careful what you ask for! The response to our "Simple Request" has been nothing short of amazing. As you will see in a bit, it netted immediate results. First, I need to acknowledge a few people for their recent contributions. If I forget someone, please know it was not intentional.

First of all our parents, my Mom and Dad along with ME's Mom have demonstrated unconditional love throughout our journey. Thank you just isn't powerful enough. To Rhonda the ultimate nurse and friend, Judi, "glam" Jackie and Kelle who spent time today learning the process of moving ME. This number will grow, I'm sure. Tiffani, one of our great employees of the tennis club, presented ME with an unbelievable basket of goodies. ME loves holding on to her new mascot. The brightness of her room has been the result of many flowers. To all of you that are close enough to spend time with ME, you guys rule! If I forgot to mention ME's devoted staff at L&D, she would kill me. The dedicated therapists at Yakima Regional have a special place in our hearts for ME. MaryEleanor's undaunting advocate, Dr Marj Henderson is our rock. To Caitlin, Dayton and Paul, words fail me, you are simply wonderful.

Whatever each and everyone of you did today, the increased energy was definitely felt in MaryEleanor's room!

What a day! I tried to sneak into ME's room this morning because I had a surprise for her. But, dang it, she caught me. I got right in her face, we were just staring at each other and I got the crazy idea to ask her if she wanted to play "don't blink". She gave me a big smile, she blinked and I told her I won, we laughed. I gave ME her mascot to hold and she picked it up. When Shelagh arrived, we placed objects above and below her hands and asked ME to go for them. Wow, watching her reach for them was very cool. We asked ME if she wanted to stretch in her chair and she was all for it. ME reached into the wash basin, grabbed her wash cloth, rung it out and with a little assistance washed her face. With a clear view of those gorgeous green eyes, ME brushed her teeth to perfection.

Once ME finished with her morning chores, I decided it was time to reward her for her efforts. I had stopped at the coffee bar in the lobby and bought a Big Train. It's a glorified, overpriced milkshake, made from ice, milk and mocha powder, but ME loves them. I asked ME if she would like to taste something sweet. She was all over this idea. It was a real treat to watch her enjoy a little sugar hit after eight weeks of being denied. Man, it was tough to leave her and return to work.

This afternoon ME's trache was removed. Another big step. ME took this simple procedure right in stride, sporting her new, pink, 2008 US Open cap! ME was content to watch a little TV, watch me and snooze. Unlike a week ago, she can easily wake up when asked. Late this afternoon, I did just that. ME woke up, I told her what a great day she experienced and congratulated her on accomplishing so much, so fast. ME reacted the way she always does, she smiled.

MaryEleanor is loved and she loves you all right back!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

This week has rewarded us with many new miracles. We can all see how hard M.E. is working when we are with her. I can only imagine the determination it takes her right now move her muscles, breathe on her own, and yes, taste the sweetness of a "big train"!.M.E. inspires me each day and I know there is more goodness to follow. I have to say that she gave me a nice kiss when I left her on Sunday :-)

Paul said...

that's awesome! I'm bummed I missed it, but so glad to hear today went well. Great job dad, your support has given her more strength than you know!

Unknown said...

Such amazing things are happening right in front of us and it couldn't happen if not for an amazing guy working his butt off in love. Way to go Dave! ME, keep working hard, we love you.

Guchee's