US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Country Living

It was my goal to make my first official "post" an hour ago. One of the benefits of living near the end of the earth is the certainty that someone will decide to leave our nice, paved roads and decide to see how high they can strike a power pole.

Everyone involved with ME's care has different "measuring sticks" for progress. Her doctors look back in her file to see where we were a week ago, even two weeks ago. Those of us who are with her each and every day, look for something new from yesterday. I guess I would call this giant leaps versus small steps. My wish every morning when I arrive is to experience something new, a new motion, expression, look, reaction or squeeze.

Today was a another day where ME marveled us. I was working with the Occupational Therapist this morning with some serious leg excersizes. ME handled it well but at a certain point I looked at her and asked if it hurt and she nodded her head "yes". A bit later as we continued to work her legs, I reached for her right hand and asked here to give me a squeeze when we pushed here too hard. Moments later she squeezed and we stopped, a first with the right hand. These are the milestones that make my day along with the others who think as I do.

We continue our extended stay in the ICU. However, ME is moving to a different room this evening. It's three times the size of her current room which will allow us all to easily all be there without tripping over each other. We have a new wall to decorate, not a curtain. The staff in the ICU have all been wonderful, kind, considerate and professional. It will be with mixed emotions that we leave this environment.

A couple of days ago ME had an EEG. This is a test to measure brain wave activity. The results were positive in that it provided proof that nerves were firing correctly when she is awake. Another victory.

Thank you, all of you, for what you are doing and continue to do for ME, it's working.

4 comments:

Merri said...

Way to go Dave on your first post!! What an awesome and uplifting message to all of us. I didn't get to tell you about Susanne and my visit with ME on Tuesday afternoon after you left. I was the proud recipient of a squeeze of my hand before we left. Both Susanne and I were telling her we had to go back to the office and I grasped her hand and gave her a little squeeze. She squeezed back! Such a small thing but huge to me.

We all are keeping ME in our thoughts and hope and pray that each new day brings a day of progress like you had today Dave. You are a fabulous husband, ME is lucky to have you by her side.

Unknown said...

Dave,
I have been following the blog about M.E. and her fabulous progress. I have worked in rehab medicine for nine years with patients just like M.E. (7 years of which were at Providence with Marj Henderson), and it never ceases to amaze me to see God's hand in bringing people out of horrific circumstances that modern medicine cannot account for. Your daughter will be learning about medicine in order to treat patients, yet the "real" medicine is not what is written in the medical books, but that which is part of the human condition.

M.E. is blessed with having so many caring friends and family members who have "squeezed" the life back into her, and who will follow her on this journey. It will be quite the journey for you as well Dave, so take care of yourself along the way in order to be there for M.E. Hitting the tennis court might be a great outlet for you.

Thinking about you both,
Leisa Garrett

Diane Allen said...

I eagerly look for your postings, M.E. You are new person in our lives (via Dayton) and I have requested several prayer circles as far away as Sweden. It is obvious from your progress they are working! I too have shed many tears over your experience and know that God's hand is touching you. Keep amazing us; we are all your cheerleaders! We will visit you when you feel up to it.
Diane (& Gary) Allen

Anonymous said...

Rhonda, your clinical updates and personal stories are great. We are so glad that EM is responding and smiling. What you said about the Tennis Club Family is true. Last Saturday night when I spoke with you at the YTC-USTA Tournament, I had mentioned that I would like to stay with EM. Please let me know when you need me. mper300@dshs.wa.gov
I was a Social Worker at a hospital and will make sure she is getting all of her needs met! However, I know that the staff @ Regional has been wonderful to EM and her family.
Michelle Perkins, MSW