Where to begin!
Saturday at the U is not unlike any one's Saturday. Time to catch up on projects around the house, maybe a bit of yard work before the snow flies or you go to the gym. The latter is exactly what ME did early Saturday morning. ME "hit the weights", her own mainly, for a good hour before crying uncle. Back in her humble abode, she took a quick break before her next therapy session. A third hour a work was completed by mid afternoon before she became ours.
MaryEleanor, Caitlin and Dayton, Paul and I took a break from reality to celebrate Caitlin's birthday with a taste of cake. Not to be denied, ME enjoyed a bit of decadent chocolate. It was definitely a "got milk" moment.
Rhonda and Mike popped in for a brief visit before heading over to the coliseum to witness yet another Husky slaughter. The Fighting Irish were in town so there was enough purple in Seattle to sink a ship! Thank goodness ME's window faces the campus, not the stadium.
Caitlin and Dayton headed off for a much needed "couples evening", courtesy of some Yakima secret Santa's. Paul and I headed to the waterfront retreat to meet up with Uncle/Bro Paul, who's arms were tired from flying in from Rhode Island.
No post last night because we not only needed to catch up, but we also decided at a very late hour to not only eat but to solve most of the world's problems. Madison Park is a great place to just cop a squat and grab some good grub.
Two Advil, a cup a Jo, and we were good to go this morning. ME's "weekend" friend at the U decided this morning that she deserved a shower! OMG! Not a quicky, but a "Hollywood" shower. The full meal deal was delivered, including a shampoo and a conditioner rinse. MaryEleanor was a noodle by the time we finished up drying her hair, getting her dressed and up in her chair.
Then it was time for the westsiders to step up and step up they did. ME's Mom was there, ready to share stories, thanks to her brother Charlie. Elaine popped in for a visit. The Allens came by with a really cool Fall flower arrangement. Paul and Paul were there. Caitlin and Dayton promised a return trip this evening to allow ME to hear some really cool music from St. Mark's cathedral, a Gregorian chant.
Throughout all of this activity, I enjoyed a few "alone" minutes with the love of my life. As always, they were intimate and special. The changes that I experienced after only two days were huge. As I got ready to say "see you later" late this afternoon, I asked ME to keep working hard, not for any of us, but for herself. I reassured her that she is receiving care from individuals who's only goal is to make her a stronger person, physically. I also congratulated her on the tough part, healing "ME", the person.
It's going to be a long four day work week for both of us. The busier we are, the sooner we will be together again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Dave,
Maris and I were very happy to be on the receiving end of today's activities, with both Pauls stopping in Mt. Vernon. We got the full update on ME and the birthday party, plus some great hangout time at our new house and then a relaxed dinner at the "Big Lake Tavern and Grill", joined by our Sarah and her friend Ameer, and our David and his fiancee Ashley (who modeled her wedding dress for me and Sarah! gorgeous).
We hope that next weekend we'll see you up here too, after our move into the house on Halloween. As I write, Paul is driving Paul to B'ham and then back for a comfy (!) night on our duplex couch. Next weekend we'll have a real guest bed!
Best to you this week, and esp. to ME for her hard work at the UW.
Love, MA et al.
It musta been hard to sum up this weekend. What a blast! Spending 48 hours straight with family was just what I needed, so thanks to all who made that possible. We'll see what next week brings, it'll be hard to measure up to this weekend but I think we can pull it off.
Ojala que este semana es fantástico para nuestra familia.
Hi EVERYone! for those of you that don't know me, I'm ME's younger sister, Polly. I want to thank all of the Yakima folks that have helped Dave and ME in so many ways. You got her to where she is now! I might add the meals were wonderful, too. How nice for us when visiting to focus on the visit and not having to fix food. Many of you have become friends w/ ME in the past several years and know how special she is. Having grown up w/ her I can tell you she's been special to me since I came into the picture in '63. My memory is not that great as a child and ME is 7 years older but I truly don't remember ever fighting w/ her! She may have a different story. ME or "Mel", "Mellie" "Mar'el'nor" as we called her at different times, was our parents' favorite child. OK this is what I whined to them. She just was so much better at everything than I!! (Not as bratty either) I tried to do the horse thing like she did but I ended up falling at horse camp and broke my arm. She helped me w/ my junior high sewing project, high school geometry, and even took me to Disneyland! I've always been proud to say my sister has a math degree and is an actuary, even though nobody really knows what that is! All the times we've visited Yakima and I don't think I've ever been to her office. I'd like to meet the L&D crew. All the tennis people too--how many are there!! ME is great for giving fashion advice, she's helped me get rid of frumpy dress or two! We've also had many a discussion re child rearing and of course Mom--ok Mom it's no secret. ME's great advice w/ kids (and moms) is "Pick your battles". How true. (We love you mom) Well, thank you all for letting me take up so much space to give a little plug for my sister. I'm rooting for her and love her very much. Thank you ALL for what you've done, big or small, everyone has a part to play and we can't all play the same one...And ME, I cant wait to see you in a couple weeks! Love, Polly
Post a Comment