US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bedtime story

Today was more progress from therapies- Mom can now sit, unassisted on the side of the bed and hold herself there for almost a minute- a huge improvement! She does like to (somewhat randomly) speak in full sentences. I say its random, because you can ask her yes/no or simple questions, and receive no verbal response. At other times, however, on her own she will announce her needs. I want to share two great stories from today. The first I am taking from Charlie's visit this evening:

Just had to report on an amazing visit with ME.

I stopped by on my way home from work (good bus connections to the UW).

After telling her some of the things happening in my world, I asked if she wanted the radio and I got a thumbs up- and after a couple of tries managed to get the ipod working.

A little arm massaging and music, but not much said. Then, after a few minutes she said to me, “I appreciate you staying with me.” Needless to say I was startled and thrilled. Over the next half hour she had some other things to say- she wanted her sweater; she wanted to be moved; she did not want the pink neck pillow; and after the nurse and I had shifted her to her left side I asked if she were comfortable- she answered clearly “I am comfortable”. Well, I hated to leave, but we’re going to Wisconsin tonight, so had to go home to pack.

Some of you may have experienced this, but it was amazing to me- last week she said my name; this week she speaking in sentences- of course, only when she wants to! This is so encouraging.

Charlie

I think this is a fantastic story- and I hope it inspires ya'll to spend some time with her--it does not mean that if she did not say those particular words to you, that she does not feel it! At least I would hope not since her remarks to me of late have been more in the demanding roll including this second and final story of the evening:

I was with her early this afternoon shortly after her work with speech therapy. During speech therapy she had some "cheaters" on to help with reading and identifying pictures the therapist was showing her. After she left, the glasses were still on, and Mom looked at me and politely said "please remove my glasses." I did so and set them on the nightstand.

Not more than 30 seconds later she looked to be in a great deal of pain/agony...her face scrunched up and she looked quite upset. "Mom?, whats wrong?" She was also moving her hands somewhat-- She worked up the effort (it was quite tiring I could tell) to say, mumbling, "the glasses case is in my lap, please put them away properly." Ahhhh......oooooops.

Nice reprimand, Mom.

5 comments:

Nan said...

I love the blog.......and I have goosebumps tonight! Way to go Me, and your entire Westside team! Huge Hugs and Love from Nan (and Tony, too) Next time I visit I'll bring pictures from the Millenium Party....that was eons ago, 1999-2000.......but the pics are great, and we still have the autographed pillow that you and Dave brought that night. What a Hoot!

Paul said...

What a day! I'm so excited for the Seattle crowd having 2 amazing experiences. Sounds like the U is living up to its reputation. Great post and even better reasons to do so. Sentences! Wooohooo!

M.E. said...

This is really cool. Paul and I have a routine every night when we talk..."what's the best thing that happened to you today"...a daily thing that Paul does with his buds in Bham. We can all learn from this as it makes you focus on positive things.

Paul told me his positive highlight was busting his butt to do well on his next midterm. I told him that I triple dipped it today. Caitlin and I shared a great "panel" discussion today about how MaryEleanor is progressing on our goals. Greg Stevenson, our builder, nuked our bathroom today in preparation to make it ready for ME to enjoy a shower at home. Charlie's email was the icing on the cake!
We are tracking!
Feel and share the energy, it works!

Merri said...

I love Charlie's story. That is fantastic! I'm quite sure if Susanne and I had shut up long enough the last time we came to visit ME would have had a word or two to tell us. Can't imagine trying to fit a word in edgewise with the two of us babbling and filling her in on all the stories and updates in our lives. :)

Keep up that hard work ME. You are doing AWESOME!! You have a huge group of cheerleaders surrounding you with love and hope, whether you can see us all or not...we are here.

Big hugs ~ Merri

Rhonda said...

I love it!