US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Friday, October 10, 2008

My rare opportunity

I have lovingly relinquished control of the blog over to my dad, but once again, after my visit I feel the need to gush. My Mom is amazing, no really, she is amazing. I sat there staring at her, and she back at me- and she is struggling to see well, something that will return, but has to be frustrating- and I remember "just before all this happened" when she was diagnosed with the tumor and getting ready for the wedding. She was having a little double vision then and making it hard for her to focus on people's faces-- "You know, Caitlin, " she said, "Its the hardest thing for me, because when I talk with someone, I have to look into their eyes, its the only way I can converse. It feels wrong to look away or to not really focus on them." She still has that philosophy, despite what is probably 2 of me looking down at her- she is still trying to focus on just one of me!
Finally, despite a long, hard day of recovery, she still has more spirit and gumption and patience than I know I ever would. As Dad stated, late in the afternoon they came in to put her "IN THE CHAIR" something I have never seen before. She was truly looking a little pooped, but when I leaned in close and said "are you sure you're up for all this movin, to sit in your chair? if you are give me a thumbs up?" and man that little right thumb started wiggling its way up. Truly amazing. I don't think I can say it enough- Truly amazing.

Back to school for me- although I will soon have more opportunities to look in on her- as she will only be an elevator ride away from me as soon as she traverses the pass. Until then, Mom, a huge hug and kiss for you!

3 comments:

Merri said...

I am so glad you were able to make it down for the day Caitlin. The time you got to spend with your mom had to mean the world to her. It will be wonderful when you are only an elevator ride away and until then she knows how much you love her and you & Paul are making her so very, very proud.

Mary Stephen said...

An elevator ride away that's even better than I thought it would be that will be so wonderful for the both of you! It will be nice for ME's mom and brother Charlie and the rest of the family also to be so much closer to her as well this is all good news. Mary

diane said...

Caitlin,
As far as your "rare opportunity,"
remember what they say, "quality not quantity." So happy you had a good visit with your mom. I am also excited to see her in Seattle!
Until then. . . Aunt Diane