Good Evening, I'm actually posting from Mom's room. I will try to make periodic posts while my Mom is here in Seattle (may have Dayton fill in some, since he proved to be such an eloquent writer). Mom is well situated on the 8th floor of UWMC- University of Washington Medical Center. She has a gorgeous view of South Campus and the health sciences building.
She is pretty exhuasted from a speedy trip over the mountains this morning, but is settling right into the routine here. Various therapists have already been through to do some initial evaluations. Mom now has a couple of ways to communicate. As Dad stated, she can verbalize (when not exhausted) with short words. She said "Hello, Caitlin," to me this morning shortly after she arrived at 11:30am. We have also equipped her with a squishy call-bell so she can ring for the nurse at her leisure. The trick is trying to figure out why she rang for the nurse.
She will have a structured therapy program all day- usually a total of 3-4 hours of rehab split up over the day. As for visitors from "this side of the state" here are a few ground rules.
1. We won't have as structured a schedule (ie 2-3 hour blocks per se) as she will be busy all day with therapies. But we will set up a schedule--Charlie Raines will be in charge of that--where you can "sign up" to come in at certain times. Most of these times will be in the evening, lunch-hour, and weekends. If you would like to come in during the day, and a therapist comes in, you can particpate, but please do no distract her from the therapy.
2. Otherwise, just pop Charlie an email (I will post it) to let him know. our goal is to 'even' out the visitors, so she doesn't have 15 one night, and no one the next couple of nights.
Thats about it--see not to bad on the rules this time around--I hope all of you near by on this side of the mountains will take advantage of her proximity and come give her a squeeze and a hello.
PS- Dad's pretty exhausted from a long day as well- he looked pretty pooped when he left this evening. I told him to rest up- its gonna be quite the ride!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Caitlin!
So glad to hear that ME made it to Seattle safely and is settling in. I would imagine this will be quite an extensive "workout" ME will have. I'm so glad you are right there able to keep an eye on her.
Give her our love and give your dad a squeeze when you see him...tell them both it's from all of us back at LD. We're thinking and praying for you all.
Hugs ~ Merri
Hi Caitlin,
Thanks for your blog today - this was a big day for your mom. UW will do a great deal of good for her!
Love,
Aunt MA
Greetings from Yakima! Glad to hear that ME's move went smoothly. I am going to be in the Seattle area Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning and plan to pop in and say HI on Thursday morning!
Hugs & Love, Nan
Caitlin & Dave,
So good to see M.E. settled in and comfy. Everyone involved in her care seemed so kind, attentive and thorough. I felt good about the move and I think M.E. did too. Will visit again soon. Love, Diane
Hi Dave and Charlie...
JoAnn and I want to come visit before you go back over the hill. Can it be arranged. Let us know. Bye the way, I thing you guys have been doing a great job with keeping track of everything and keeping the blog updated. Its great to see ME get better and better.
Post a Comment