My mom received a journal as a gift just after her diagnosis. She only had time for a couple of entries, but I would like to share with you her words:
7-10-08
On my 52nd birthday and 10 days before Caitlin and Dayton's wedding- I met Dr Soren Singel-my neurosurgeon! "You have a benign olefactory meningioma about the size of an egg in your left forehead region and we should take it out, you are lucky it bled so we would find it" :)
My symptoms leading up to this was our USTA senior 3.0 Team was in Sunriver, OR for sectionals. It was a hot day, no breeze, sunny on the courts and elevation 4,500'. About 5 minutes into our match with partner, Marcy DiPietro, I got a neck ache and head ache. Took 2 advil and played on, of course! After the match my head was hurting and throbbing when changing from sitting to standing so when we got home I went to the doctor. It thought maybe vertigo or heat stroke, rest and should feel better but if not a brain MRI was scheduled.
Dr. singel advised that we could wait until after the wedding for the surgery- so go and enjoy! He gave me a steroid to help with the pain and the cerebral edema and I should feel pretty good. I have some blurry vision in my right eye especially if I "do too much" but otherwise the wedding weekend was fantastic!
A Cerebral angiogram was scheduled for July 28th for Dr. Singel to map the blood vessels that fee the tumor. Nine major vessels will need embolization, done as a cath lab (under anesthesia) procedure the day before the tumor surgery. Dr Singel showed Dave the images and decided the following Monday, August 4th we should get going with this.
7-31-08
I have had so many wonderful phone calls and cards and words of encouragement. Kath Gillespie has called several times, Joann Richardson too, a nice long call from Lisa Long, Marcy DiPietro checks in every few days, Mary Miller, Joyce Flyckt; Rhonda Taylor has followed me very closely and with great concern and love, Judi Brown has sent emails that are organizing some meals to be at the house for Dave, Caitlin, and others who may come to visit. I have had lots of emails from Diane Cruikshank, Polly and other family members and Caitlin follows and checks on me as does Mom. I am blessed with amazing friends and family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi M.E., Dave, Caitlin, and Paul, I just heard about your illness, M.E., and surgery this week-end. Know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Caitlin, thanks for keeping us in the loop on your mother's progress and all your wonderful thoughts and photos. love & hugs, Purna and Dave Rankin
Hey M.E., Lots of Love and positive thoughts from Fairfax, Virginia!! Looks like you have dear friends from coast to coast! We always love that smile and cherish all the laughs over the years!! Know we have many more to come!..Love, Bob.com and Susana
Dear M.E. and Dave,
You are in our thoughts and prayers. Although time and miles have passed, you are dear friends that we think of often. Remain strong and steadfast, we are confident you'll recover. I said a special rosary for your today M.E.---and will continue to do so. I hope to make it to Yakima soon. You are blessed with so many people who love and care for you. Catilin is amazing with the blog and update. Technology is great! I look forward to your recovery so we can celebrate.
Warmly,
Mary and Paul West
Post a Comment