US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Fantastic Mom

With the amazing progress we have made in the last 48 hours, its hard to imagine how far we have come.

We don't have to force her eyes open to get a response to a command; such as: wiggle toes, squeeze and release my hand, or even try to open her eyes!! She is still groggy, and you can tell at times she is really struggling to listen and do what we ask. She can't open her eyes on her own, but you can see the struggle, and can get them about 1/8 open on her own if she tries really hard. Its very easy to tire her out, and after about 10-15 minutes of commands, she's had enough.

The reality is, however, we have a ways to go. She still needs the ventilator for support. And right now she has been intubated (tube down the mouth into her lungs) for coming up on two weeks. At this point we start to worry about damage to her vocal cords and other soft tissues in her mouth. So we are looking towards a tracheotomy- a small tube inserted into her throat. This will most likely occur within the next couple of days. It can even be done at bedside, and removed easily when she's ready.

We talked to Dr. Singel a bit about rehab today. We not only want her back and moving around on her own, but he would like to see aggressive rehab including sports medicine, so that she will be able enjoy her active life. It is never to early to start working on those connections.

Mom was also started on some mild blood thinners yesterday, as they were concerned with some IV access beginning to clot. Because there is always a concern that she may bleed again, she had another CT scan this morning. My Dad and I had the chance to review it with Dr. Singel, and he said it looks fantastic. Her brain is relaxed, no swelling, and its beginning to reoccupy the space the tumor had taken over. All great signs of healing.

All these signs are great indicators that I feel comfortable to return to Seattle this weekend in preparation for school to start in a just a week. Hopefully she will continue to progress in this positive fashion and be in rehab within the next 2 weeks.

I will count on all of you reading this to push her as much as she will push herself.

As Dr. Singel says "we want her back to drinking lattes, and hitting backhands as soon as possible." :)

6 comments:

HGLAD said...

Knowing first hand what you are all going through tears are streaming down my face as I write. I just want you to know how much I love you and appreciate the friendship you have given me. M.E., I'm pulling for you with all my being.
Howard G

Candi Broadfoot said...

I get chills reading the notices of how ME is doing. What a joy it is to read such possitive news.

Continued faith in God will bring you and your family through this ordeal. We pray for your full recovery.

Candi B

Merri said...

Caitlin and family,

Such exciting news!!

We're all pulling for her and are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Merri & the LeMaster Daniels gang

Anonymous said...

My heart is broken hearing the news of my dearest partner M.E. No words can explain my sadness. But if anyone can overcome this, M.E. YOU can! I've witnessed your strength, determination and power on the courts and God is with you now fighting for your full recovery. My prayers and support are all yours today and always. I love you M.E., BE STRONG!
Elsie

Jason said...

Hey Caitlin,
I just finished reading your whole blog. Olivia forwarded it to me. This blog was a great idea. You're so strong! I'm pulling for your mom and I'm thinking of you and your family.
Jason

BonniLee said...

M.E. and Family

Wow, I have been so out of the loop lately and I am sorry I have not responded to your needs sooner.
M.E., you are certainly showing everyone your inner strength - keep it up! I will see you soon.

BonniLee Ball