US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Monday, August 11, 2008

Its amazing...

I am happy to report some great news this morning. Even though I have the afternoon shift today I went with Dad to get the Monday morning update. Mondays are always busy, even more so in the morning. It took us awhile to even get back to see Mom, as they were doing some testing on her.

With her laying down so much in the bed (for now almost 9 days) we start to worry about blood clots. Just as you do when you fly from Seattle to Sydney Australia, except Mom can't get up to give her legs a break. So they were doing some preventative testing to see if any clots were forming. More on that later, if needed.

It was well worth the wait to see her, as what we saw was amazing. One of Dr. Singel's Nurse Practitioners came in to check her this morning. She was turned on her right side in the bed. He went to the right side of the bed. "ME, I'm going to open your eyes, OK?" I stood on the left hand side of the bed. After he opened her eyes and looked for pupil reaction he asked her to follow his finger as he held it toward the left side of the bed. Not much movement. "Talk to her," he asked. I asked Mom to look at me, that I was over to her left. To that request, she slowly, slightly wiggled her eyes toward me and the left. Excellent work!

You're getting excited now, I can tell. THEN with her eyes open (he's holding them open, remember) he asked her to move her thumb. We have NEVER had her move her thumb or fingers, either to a request or on her own. And ever so slightly at that moment. Her left thumb moved. I'm not joking here. He let her eyes close. And asked her to try again with that thumb. Nothing. We gave her a minute. "Sometimes, the stimulus of having someone to look at and focus on with eyes open, is enough to pull them out of their 'fog'". So he opened her eyes again, and repeated the request for the thumb movement, and she complied this time with her right thumb!

Never have I been so excited to see such a small movement. We congratulated her on her great work for the day, and gave her some peace. How exhausting!

So we are moving forward. Hopefully we've turned a corner here, and we will start seeing some major improvements. I will be sure to keep you posted.

No comments: