This morning when I arrived at in the ICU as I was approaching the door of M.E.'s room her nurse emphatically said "Rhonda, you need to get in here right now". Of course I was terribly alarmed until I saw that M.E. was AWAKE. I went to her side and started talking to her and she looked squarely at me with her right eyelid wide open and the left slightly, and gave me a really big smile. Of course, I started crying and laughing at the same time and M.E. continued to beam (I even saw her dimple). Dave was there of course and he was getting the same response.
When I asked her to squeeze my hand (with her left hand) she gave me a pretty good squeeze. We had her with us for only a few minutes and then she was back asleep. When she was awake I told her that she had been sleeping for 3 weeks and her nurse said quietly "I told her it was only one". OOPS :-)
While she was awake, the physical therapist came in to work with her. She had M.E. sitting upright in bed and at that time, Laurie, Dave T., and Carol Woolcock came to the doorway and started jabbering good wishes to her. I told M.E. to smile to "her team", which she did. They were so excited to see her respond. After all the excitement I told them it reminded me of the final scene of the Wizard of Oz when the human characters of the tin man, scarecrow, and lion were at the bedside of Dorothy when she awoke. They got a kick out of that.
For now, there is nothing else to say except our prayers are being answered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment