Good evening, I just returned home from the hospital. I tucked her in for the night.
Here is your status update: All is the same.
We have been able to keep the sedation drug off all day today, and it was still off when I left this evening. That is great news, as we want to see that she can tolerate being more "awake." Our next step is her maintaining her own airway. She is still using the breathing machine to assist her, so our goal is for her to be able to take adequate, regular breaths at a good rate on her own, before we can take that tube out of her throat.
Little baby steps today: some wiggles of toes, some fluttering of eyelashes. Not really in response to a command, more like when we are touching, irritating, or moving her around.
We also are working on electrolyte balancing: sodium levels, etc. This helps with the regulation of water in her body, and keeps from too much swelling in her brain. In fact that monitor in her brain should come out tomorrow. Its been for almost a week (Goodness is it already almost Friday!?!), and we don't want any sort of infections.
The staff is very impressed with the atmosphere we have created in Mom's room. We play soothing music, and keep it quiet. In fact one of the cds I am playing for her right now is called: The ultimate nap. I kid you not.
I would like you to know, that I am telling her names and thoughts of all of you, who are praying for her and thinking about her. And of course all the things that are making my Dad and I breathe easier- the food, the company, the support. I know this eases her stress, and ours. :)
We're looking forward to another peaceful night.
Thank you to those of you have responded by email in response to my request for a schedule. I am reading them, and making note of people's availability and will get back to you asap. It is VERY MUCH appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Caitlin I didn’t mention this in my previous post but want to now, you are doing such a great thing with the blog keeping everyone updated! And I am sure it helps you as well. It is clear to me you will make a wonderful doctor and your mom very proud. Thank you Mary Stephen
Post a Comment