I know I feel like I'm repeating information over and over, and maybe you do too. We did get a chance to talk to Dr. Singel again today. He stopped in around noontime, fresh from someone else's surgery.
Mom has a catheter (small tube) still in her brain that was placed during the emergency on Friday night. The catheter's original goal was to drain any additional CSF (cerebral spinal fluid-clear fluid that surrounds the brain) that she was producing which would cause additional pressure on her brain. It is now NOT suctioning any additional CSF, as her brain is absorbing any additional fluid on its own. A great sign that her brain can regulate itself. The small tube now serves as a means to continually monitor her cranial pressure.
Dr. Singel also has a very "hands-off" approach. Meaning he is not going to micro-manage her care, but let Mom adjust her own body. This also means he has every intention of letting her rest for as long as she needs. So I would like to emphasize, she may not be up and awake for days. We will still do some gentle waking, as we have been doing, every day to see how she can do on her own. And you never know which day will be the day.
I was also able to "pick" Dr. Singel's brain a bit today. I spent over an hour with him after sitting with my Mom. I appreciate him taking the time to explain what his goal would have been had things gone his way yesterday and today in the lab and surgery. We reviewed her brain anatomy, so I now "know more than about 99.9% of first-year medical students, since I just gave you an advanced neuro lesson, in fact you know more than most docs roaming around these halls now. haha"- Dr. Singel. So that felt good, as I was able to get a true picture as to the vascularization (blood supply) to this giant monster that resided in her brain. And just where she ended up herniating (bleeding).
So we are over a MAJOR hurdle. "we are not in immediate danger anymore"-Dr. Singel. It has been enough hours now, post-op that we are on cruise control and just waiting patiently while she heals. The nurse said Mom seems to make deliberate movements, especially when they change the big head bandage wrapped around her like a bandanna. She also has been pushing the feeding tube out of her mouth with her tongue at times, not a surprise to anyone who knows my Mom and her phobias. Or maybe she doesn't like the flavor. :)
Tomorrow we'll do another CT scan to see what we find. Remember, Mom is like an enigma to Dr. Singel, so he is monitoring her closely in that regard.
Something for everyone to consider. Before we know it, we'll go from this waiting game to BAM action. At that time, we need to rally the troops, because Mom will be allowed to have more visitors. Dad and I will need to have more people to relieve us. Also eventually (long ways down the road) I will be back to school, and we'll need people at home here with her, while Dad is at work. We are working on a coordinator at this time, and will be in touch again soon with contact information if you would like to help. In the meantime, Mom needs as much positive energy and thinking as possible going her way. She has come a long ways, but the road ahead of us is even longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This news is very encouraging, Gramma feels like she will be able to sleep tonight! Gramma wants to help when & where she is needed so she knows she needs to keep healthy. Of course I will help any way I can. I can take some time off work. Love, Polly
Please count me in to help in any way I can...I can be very good at sitting (or whatever!!). Speaking of "positive energy"...M.E. always exudes it and makes everyone around her feel terrific...now it's our turn to pay it back!! Thanks again for your updates, Caitlin. Love you, Purna
Post a Comment