US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Time for a schedule.

Ok. We haven't worked out a coordinator per se. But here's the deal. Everyday, hopefully, we're going to try and "wean" her off that propofol again and see how she tolerates it. We turned the sedation and breathing machine back on today around 2PM, as she was getting agitated and needed to rest. We have no idea how long this "weaning process" could take, but our goal is to get her off the sedation meds, breathing on her own, without her ICP (that brain pressure stuff again) going too high. So today, for the first time, Dad and I have been in the room (either one or both of us) all day.

I know you are chomping at the bit to help, so here is your chance. What I would like is the following:

1. TWO shifts during the day. roughly 8:30am-12:30pm or 1pm; and 1pm-5:30pm or 6pm. So about 4.5 to 5 hour shifts.

2. During your shift you will be in Mom's room (so you have to be comfortable with machines, and ICU stuff) either with Dad or I or even by yourself.

3. The room can be chilly, so bring a sweatshirt, and a book to read to occupy the quiet time.

4. Dad and I are the primary sources for information, please keep questions (unless an emergency) to the nurses at a minimum. Also please keep exits/entrances to a minimum as this is disruptive to Mom as well as to the staff.

5. Mom is MUCH more sensitive to stimuli. In some ways we want to see her respond, and at other times we want her to heal, and basically sleep. So voices need to be soft, soothing, or kept to a minimum unless instructed by the nurse.

6. When we are stimulating her, you can talk to her, calmly. Tell her who you are and what you are doing. She is obviously frightened inside. So we don't want her to think someone is out there talking about her or that there is a party she can't be involved with. So this also means keep cell phone convos to a minimum. You are there for her. :). (I know I'm so harsh!)

7. Finally, if this is something you would like to do. You need to be there for the whole shift. No splitting. It eases her stress, and ours.


So now that I've laid down the harsh ground rules, and you see what you are getting into, you can decide if this is something you would like to do. Dad and I completely understand if this seems a little too much, as it is. It is draining. So for right now: email me with your availability starting with Friday morning and into the weekend. We'll do a few days at a time, until a better schedule/spreadsheet can be made up.
my email:

caitlinwhelan@gmail.com

If you are "not selected" do not take it personally. We still appreciate your gesture, and know that there are many that can't wait to lay their eyes on her.

Much thanks to all of your support to my Mom and this blog. Its great to know that so many are there for her.

We are taking it one day at a time.

OH, one more thing. If you are from out-of-town and would like to come to town for a few days to help us, feel free to also let us know your availability. I will be heading back to Seattle before you know it, and having another solid rock here for my Dad will be a tremendous help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caitlin, you are an amazing daughter. I have not had the pleasure to meet you, but know your parents thru tennis. I will tell you that so many are reading your blog- people you will never meet but want to know more about who they are praying for. You keep us updated, uplifted, tearful, and excited, all in one sitting, plus you spend your days at the hospital - you are amazing and I can hardly wait for your mom to read this blog. You and your Dad are in our thoughts constantly. Hugs to you all. Deb McCown