Despite the dozens of people reading this, I find myself reflecting on Mom's condition and feeling the need to write it down. I sat alone with her in her room this evening at about 8:30pm. The nurses were elsewhere, so it was just me and her. It was amazing.
I knew she could sense me. Her blood pressure was up and with just a touch to her hand or feet she seemed to respond. My mother is very easily startled. No one goes back to her bathroom when the blow-dryer is running for fear of giving her a heart attack. I felt her relax with me as I massaged her feet and talked soothingly to her. I did not want to overly stimulate her, but found I could not resist just murmuring a few words of encouragement.
She is such a fighter and so strong, and I know it is a miracle of God that she has reached this far. She is an amazing woman, but so stubborn. I know she will wake up when she is ready to, and not a moment before. And just in case you were wondering, she was fighting me the whole time I worked with her legs and feet, to keep up her range of motion. Can't I win just once, Mom? :)
As I whispered goodnight to her when I left, I remembered the times she would crawl into bed with me when I was sick or feeling down, and stroke my hair and tell me some story. So I smoothed down her Mohawk and gently held her hand, and told her to be strong and to keep proving science wrong and to keep Dr. Singel on his toes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment