US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Awesome!

So much to say, so little time. There is a lot to update and share with everyone on the blog, but we got home late and are very tired. So, we are going to do just a quickie and then catch you all up later. Ok, where to start. Well, since I am telling the story, we will start where I did. I bus hopped with precision today, with a little running involved, and was able to make it to the U in record time. Caitlin was still at the gym so I got some alone time with M.E. When I walked in she was wide awake and looking fantastic. This is very unusual, in fact I have never seen her so awake, as I usually visit in the late evenings. I got her caught up on the things going on in my life, but that did not take very long. So I went about blabbering about random observations and questions. I asked a few yes no questions with response via thumb and she declined the eye patch when asked. However, after I said Caitlin should be by soon, she was avidly watching the door and would look over at the slightest noise. When Caitlin arrived at the door, she immediately tried to say something. Her trache was unplugged and the loud oxygen was on, so we could not hear her. We did some writing on a white board because we could not figure out what she was trying to say. It was a little shaky and hard to read, but we eventually got the point across. (She wrote hi caitlin and then pointed to me, to say hi dayton as well)

:) So cute.

Dr. Nettlow came in and showed us a neat trick with the trache to help M.E. talk. After we implemented this trick, we had a very long and awesome conversation. Let me sum it up by just saying this was the most Caitlin or I have ever heard her talk. She was taking on a full conversation with us, with little or no pause and rarely having to repeat herself. I was in with M.E. for over two hours, spending the majority of the time talking with her. She was AMAZING! She had facial expression that made the conversation extremely entertaining. We are just ever so thankful that whatever combination of botox/drugs did this, did a wonderful job. She reported that she was more awake and feeling better. She even said “I think we have overcome the speech barrier”. How amazing!?! This is so cool that I could spend all night talking about it.

Dave, we haven’t talked to you tonight because you were out for dinner, but this should fill you in for tonight until you get a chance to talk to Caitlin. Man, it was so cool. We did not even care about being hungry. It was impossible to want to leave. Did I say awesome already? Because it was awesome! So that is why we are late getting home. Sorry, but I tell you it was worth the wait! I sound like a giddy little kid, because I am giddy and I am making you all jealous that we got to see this awesomeness!

Good night.

Awesome!

-Dayton

3 comments:

diane said...

Dayton and Caitlin,
Awesome indeed! Maybe I will be so lucky to talk to M.E. tomorrow. . .can't wait. .. Love, Diane

Merri said...

Dayton ~ Thanks for this huge dose of excitement! The "Awesomeness" of the experience you had is felt even over here in Yakivegas. :)

Keep up the hard work ME. You'll be home before you know it and there will be plenty of people for you to show off to.

Hugs n' junk ~ Merri

Mary Stephen said...

This is such great news and thank you Dayton for your expressive and detailed account! It was so nice to hear this account for those of us that have not seen ME! And ME keep up the good work! all smiles :-)

I was glad to hear you all had a good time on Thanksgiving!