US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept 2010

US Tennis Open - Sept  2010
Here we are at Arthur Ashe stadium !

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Going Green

MaryEleanor sends her love to all of you who take the time and interest to faithfully read these brief snapshots of her journey. If by reading these, you have done something new or thought about something in a different light, you are experiencing what those who are close already understand, ME has an impact on everyone who comes in contact with her.

As I was leaving the U on the second day we were there, I remember posting a passing comment from one of ME's therapists saying that ME may become one of their favorites. ME had only been there for 24 hours. After watching the interaction between ME and her "green team" of favorites over the past two days, she has become a favorite.

Friday was packed with activity. I arrived at 7A to make sure I didn't miss anything. MaryEleanor was ready as always and promptly at 9A, the work began. Long sessions and shorter sessions went nonstop until 3:30P. All three therapy types were worked several times, physical, occupational and speech. I saw significant changes from last Sunday. Her muscle mass is really returning. She's learned new "tricks" to assist people working with her. Caitlin arrived late in the day after finishing class. We, mainly Caitlin, pestered ME long enough to share a couple of emails with ME. One was a prayer from ME's Mom. She also shared the comment on the blog from Thursday night from our dear, liberal friends in Virginia. 1992 was a long time ago but the activities ME organized for that week make it seem like it was yesterday.

A bit after 6P, I headed north to spend the evening with Mary Alice and Maris. Paul, son, was supposed to join us but he stayed put in Bham with a nasty cold. I would highly recommend the Big Lake Tavern to anyone venturing the back roads of NW Washington. "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" would like this place.

Today was supposed to be a day off for ME. No therapies but a hot shower and shampoo. NOT! Vickie and Katy Jo waltzed in at 9:30 for a surprise 1 1/2hr physical therapy session. Since next Tuesday is a holiday for some, it was their idea to exploit the schedule over the weekend to keep ME moving in the right direction. Judi met Vickie this past Monday. Safe to say Judi, you made an impression. A gaggle of ME's friends and family arrived soon after for visits and laughter. Not taking anything away from those who visited but, Marj and Mike from Yakima stopped in for a lengthy chat with ME. It was a nice reunion.

Dayton joined the crowd at some point and was there when the non-scheduled speech therapy session happened. ME's therapist brought in yet another cool device for communication. Whereas talking is the best, backup methods are key. Dayton treated me to a late lunch at Aqua Verde where we enjoyed great food and even better conversation. Thanks!

More therapies are actually scheduled for tomorrow. Lots of visitors also. We all blew away the staff at "Reg" in Yakima with the amount of people that spent time participating in ME's journey. I sleep well at night knowing that Dayton's challenge of "bring it on" has and will continue this legacy at the U.

Green has always been MaryEleanor's favorite color. Her penetrating green eyes, her new matching earrings, the embroidery on one of her outfits and being assigned to the "green team", it's more than a coincidence, it was meant to be.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Great post dad. Glad there's a lot of progress. I'm bummed I wasn't able to make it down, I guess it'll just make next weekend even better. The cold is subsiding slowly but surely. Thanks to all who came and visited, nice to hear she's busy!

paz, amor, y respecto

Dayton Allen said...

Excellent post. I’m glad you are able to continue the blog routine. You do a much better job than I. It comes more natural to you and it shows. For someone who works as hard as you do, there is need for some special treatment. Providing food and entertainment is the least that Caitlin and I can do. I enjoyed the conversation(s) as well and was the highlight of my day; second to coming home to my wife to spend time with her - without being yelled at for forgetting to bring the clothes back. Oops!

Every weekend dinner with one or both of us is required and remember Dave, you’re in OUR town. Rules are rules, behave now. I will also work on filling up your laptop with some portable entertainment for those gaps in your schedule.

diane said...

Good to see everyone yesterday. AnnMarie enjoyed the visit too! I agree that the "green team" is perfect for M.E. You can see how much they enjoy her. An extra month at the UW will be a wonderful blessing! Safe trip home Dave. Love, Diane

Merri said...

ME,

I read the first paragraph at our staff meeting today. I encouraged everyone to sign up for an account and start leaving messages for you. We'll have to see who is the bravest. Remember how they all teased me when they found out I blogged? Big goofballs, every one of them. :)

Keep up the hard work. It sounds as though it's paying off, you're such a strong woman ME.

We miss you!!!

Love me and all those chickens from LD :)